- Thrust Area Specialty: Energy Engineering and Science
- Energy storage system design and manufacturing: Flow batteries; lithium-ion and sodium-ion batteries; multivalent intercalation system; metal-sulfur and metal-air batteries
- Battery recycling process design and automation
- Energy storage materials structure-property-performance relationships
- Industrial Internet of Things Platform
- 2022-present, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech
- 2016-2022, Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech
- 2015-2016, Research Scientist, Departmet of Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 2011-2015, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 2013-2014, Senior Research Scientist, 24M Technologies, Inc.
- Ph.D. - Materials Science and Engineering, State University of New York, Binghamton, 2011 (Advisor: M. Stanley Whittingham, 2019 Nobel Laureate)
- M.S. - Materials Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 2008
- B.Eng. - Materials Physics, Jilin University, China, 2006
- Z. Li, Y.-M. Chiang. Oxygen-breathing aqueous sulfur storage battery. U.S. Application No.: 62/248672.
- Y.-M. Chiang, Z. Li, W. H. Woodford, F. Fan, N. Baram, K. C. Smith, W. C. Carter, G. H. MaKinley and A. Helal. Metal sulfide electrodes and energy storage devices thereof. International Patent Application No.: PCT/US2014/014681.
- Z. Li, F. Fan, W. H. Woodford, N. Baram, K. C. Smith, Y.-M. Chiang and W. C. Carter. High energy density semi-solid storage electrodes and batteries thereof. U.S. Application No.: 61/789964.
- Y.-M. Chiang, A. H. Slocum, W. C. Carter, K. C. Smith, B. J. Hopkins, Z. Li, Frank Fan, Xinwei Chen. Gravity induced flow cell using suspension-based flow electrodes. U.S. Application No.: 61/911101.
- K. C. Smith, Z. Li, W. C. Carter and Y.-M. Chiang. Optimal flow conditions for intermittent flow cell. U.S. Application No.: 61/831321.
- Z. Li, K. Xiang and Y.-M. Chiang. High energy density aqueous sodium-ion batteries. U.S. Application No.: 61/781607.