- Thrust Area Specialty: Robotics, Autonomous, and Dynamical Systems
Improving ground vehicle performance by studying vehicle system interactions with terrain surfaces. Specifically, chassis design and development, vehicle dynamics, terrain topology (high-fidelity measurement, statistical analysis, and stochastic modeling), driver-vehicle interactions, virtual proving ground development, vehicle performance (ride, handling, reliability, mobility), and automated vehicle development.
See Dr. Ferris' publications and research on Google Scholar.
- Pereira* S., and Ferris, J.B., 2020, “Random Sampling and Probabilistic Consensus (RSPC) for Identifying Outliers in Road Surface Datasets'', Int. J. Vehicle Systems Modeling and Testing, doi.org/10.1504/IJVSMT.
- Altmann* C.T., and Ferris, J.B., 2020, “Theoretical Development of Localized Pseudo Damage”, SAE Journal of Passenger Cars – Mechanical Systems, vol. 13, no. 1, doi:10.4271/06-13-01-0003.
- A. Nazari, L. Chen, F. Battaglia, J. B. Ferris, and F. Flintsch, S. Taheri, “Prediction of Hydroplaning Potential Using Fully Coupled FE-CFD Tire Models”, Journal of Fluid Engineering, FE-19-1721, 2020.
- Altmann, C.T., and Ferris, J.B., “Identification of Damaging Road Events Using Pseudo Damage Density," SAE Journal of Passenger Cars – Mechanical Systems, vol. 13, no. 2, 2020; doi: 10.4271/06-13-02-0010.
- Altmann C.T., and Ferris, J.B., "Similarity Between Damaging Events Using Pseudo Damage Density" SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars: Mechanical Systems, vol. 13, no. 3, 2020; doi:10.4271/06-13-13-0016.
- Kang*, Y., and Ferris, J. B., 2018, "Performance Margin for Geometric Road Design,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst., vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 263-272, doi:10.4271/06-11-04-0022
- Bobade, P., Majumdar, S., Pereira*, S., Kurdila, A.J., and Ferris, J.B., 2018, “Adaptive estimation for nonlinear systems using reproducing kernel Hilbert spaces,” Advances in Computational Mathematics, https://doi.org/1 0.1007 /s1 0444-018-9639-z
- Kang*, Y., Nazari, A., Chen, L., Ferris, J. B., Taheri, S., Battaglia, F., and Flintsch, G., 2018, "A Probabilistic Approach to Hydroplaning Potential and Risk,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst., vol. 12, no. 1, doi:10.4271/06-12-01-0005
- Ma*, R., Ferris, J., Reid, A., and Gorsich, D., 2017, "Admissible Shape Parameters for a Planar Quasi-Static Constraint Mode Tire Model," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 10(3). doi:10.4271/2017-01-9683
- 2005-Present, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech
- 2001-2005, Senior Technical Specialist, ZF Lemforder
- 1995-2001, Senior Technical Specialist, DaimlerChrysler Corporation
- 1992-1995, Research Assistant, University of Michigan
- 1990-1992, Project Engineer, Chrysler Corporation
- Ph.D. - Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1996
- M.S. - Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1992
- B.S. - Mechanical Engineering, Carnegie-Mellon University, 1990