Robert E. Hord Jr. Professor
- Associate Department Head for Graduate Studies
- Thrust Area Specialty: Robotics, Autonomous, and Dynamical Systems
- Modeling and simulation of multibody dynamics systems
- Treatment of uncertainties
- Parameter estimation
- Multibody dynamics systems optimizations
- On-road and off-road, wheeled and tracked vehicle dynamics
- Tire and track modeling
- Terramechanics (vehicle-terrain interaction)
- Modeling of stochastic terrain profile and soil characteristics
- Rail dynamics, wheel-rail contact and friction modeling, and train suspension modeling
- Vibrations and control of mechanical systems.
See Dr. Sandu's publications and research on Google Scholar.
- McBride, S., Burdisso, R., and Sandu, C. - “Modeling Vibration-Induced Tire Pavement Interaction Noise in the Mid-Frequency Range”, Paper no. TST-19-222, Tire Science and Technology Journal, on-line Oct. 2020, https://doi.org/10.2346/tire.20.190222, 2020.
- Mousavi, H. and Sandu, C. – “Sensitivity Analysis of the Tire-ice Friction Coefficient with Respect to the Tire’s Rubber Compound Properties”, J. of Terramechanics, on-line Sept 29, 2020, Vol. 91, pp. 319-328 (10), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jterra.2020.08.004, Oct. 2020. (2 citations)
- He, R., Sandu, C., Shenvi, M.N., Mousavi, H., Braun, K., Kruger, R., and Els, S.P. – “Updated Standards of International Society for Terrain-Vehicle Systems”, J. of Terramechanics, on-line July 30, 2020, Vol. 91, pp. 185-231 (47), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jterra.2020.06.007, Oct. 2020.
- Mousavi, H. and Sandu, C. – “Tire-Ice Model Development for The Simulation of Rubber Compounds Effect on Tire Performance”, J. of Terramechanics, on-line June 16 2020, Vol. 91, pp. 97-115 (19), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jterra.2020.06.001, Oct. 2020. (3 citations)
- Mousavi, H. and Sandu, C. – “Experimental Study of Tread Rubber Compound Effects on Tire Performance on Ice”, Article ID 02-13-02-0006, SAE Int. J. of Commercial Vehicles, on-line June 16, 2020, 13(2):99-101, https://doi.org/10.4271/02-13-02-0006, 2020. (2 citations)
- Corner, S., Sandu, A., and Sandu, C. – “Adjoint Sensitivity Analysis of Hybrid Multibody Dynamical Systems”, Paper no. MUBO-D-19-00067, Multibody Systems Dynamics, on-line Feb. 10, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11044-020-09726-0. (1 citations)
- Sandu, C., Taheri, Sh., Taheri, S., Els, S., and Jimenez, E. – “Hybrid Soft Soil Tire Model (HSSTM). Part III: Model Parameterization and Validation”, J. of Terramechanics, on-line Nov. 28, 2019, Vol 88, pp. 1-15 (15), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jterra.2019.11.002, April 2020.
- Jimenez, E. and Sandu, C. – “Experimental Investigation of the Tractive Performance of Pneumatic Tires on Ice”, Tire Science and Technology, Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 22-45 (24), https://doi.org/10.2346/tire.18.460409, Jan.-March, 2020. (32 citations)
- Ph.D. - Mechanical Engineering, University of Iowa, 2000
- M.S. - Mechanical Engineering, University of Iowa, 1995
- Engineering Diploma - Mechanics, Bucharest Polytechnic Institute, 1991